ZELJANICA (Crusty Spinach Souffle Pie)
2 pounds phyllo dough (available frozen at many food stores)
1 pound feta cheese
1 pound creamed cottage cheese
1 pound cream cheese
1 pound spinach, cooked, drained, and chopped
2 cups whole milk
1 cup vegetable oil
1) Thaw the phyllo (jufka or juhka) and allow it to reach room temperature before proceeding.
2) Preheat the oven to 400.
3) Beat the eggs and blend in the feta, using a potato masher to break it up. Add the cottage cheese, cream cheese, spinach, and milk; mix well.
4) Grease a large baking pan (about 10 inches in diameter and 4 inches deep) with oil. Lay three or four sheets of phyllo into the pan, letting the edges hang over. Sprinkle them with oil and then with a little water.
5) Place about 1 ½ cups of the cheese filling onto the phyllo and cover it with three or four more sheets; again sprinkle it with oil and water. Repeat these steps until all the filling is used. Top the pie with four more sheets of phyllo and sprinkle them with oil only. Tuck the edges of the overhanging phyllo sheets in under the pie.
6) Bake the pie for 45 minutes.